A Spray for Your Skin to Light Up the Oil that Causes Poisen Ivy

An article in the Journal of Organic Chemistry by Rebecca Braslau et al describes the discovery of a nontoxic spray that will light up in the presence of urushiol, the active chemical in the oil from poisen ivy, oak and sumac that causes a nasty rash.

Not yet ready for prime time, I for one will be watching for the commercial release, as many of my patients with poisen ivy get recurrences from contact with the invisible oil on their clothing and linens or other objects.

In the meantime, using Technu to wash the oil from your body or clothing, and Ivy Block to help protect the skin from inadvertant exposures.

for more information, check out the story by Joe Palco on NPR: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/10/15/162789103/spray-lights-up-the-chemical-that-causes-poison-ivy-rash?ft=3&f=111787346&sc=nl&cc=es-20121021

Or check out our library: Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Poison Sumac